"As a wholesaler I would think! If all other products I sell in my shop or from direct stores are subject to various legal requirements e.g. strength for timber structures, CE marking for lattice beams, etc. Woodproofing of wood should also be covered by CE marking."
As a wholesaler, commercial agent and construction company, you are expected by your client/customer to provide timely products with the appropriate quality and proper documentation according to the legal requirements that are imposed on the product and for the end use of the product. As a distribution link between manufacturers and users, keep in mind that there are no shortcuts to delivering a special product like fireproof wood. Appealing messages such as low price, fast delivery and the product being as good as the prescribed product, are some factors that you must be aware of. Is that true?
But there are problems that, if possible, are even bigger and harder to figure out, what does the documentation look like, what documentation must I require from the supplier, etc.? The creativity of both creating documentation and displaying insignificant or incorrect documentation is very common phenomenon. Make it easy for you just as we recommend builders. Take a look at performance declaration, but keep in mind that the performance statement does not ensure compliance with construction law. The only way for you as a wholesaler to act seriously with your customer and to feel safe in your choice of fireproof wood is to offer type-approved wood products in parallel with the presentation of performance declaration. Keep in mind that classification reports, fire tests, statements are not a certified document and can not therefore be the basis for procurement. The same is true of any word certificate, as some operators themselves use homemade documents. A properly independent certificate is always displayed by bodies such as RISE (formerly SP).
If you choose to import a product from outside the EU, you are faced with a situation that is subject to the same requirements as a manufacturer, which means you must take responsibility for certification, inspection, documentation, etc.
Questions and Answers
- I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER PRODUCT WITH THE SAME FIRE CLASS AT A CHEAPER PRICE. WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Everything. A fire class and cheaper price does not in any way mean that the product is approved to use or suitable to use. It is your duty under PBL and CPR to ensure equivalent properties on other products than the one prescribed.
- THE REQUIRED FIRE CLASS IS B-S1, D0 AND I HAVE FOUND A DIFFERENT PRODUCT OTHER THAN WOODSAFE. WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER?
- A combination of letters and numbers does not mean that the product is suitable and can automatically replace the prescribed product even if B-s1, d0 is manufactured. You must check the substrate, the density and thickness of the product, air gap or no air gap and so on. We recommend that you consult an expert consultant or for the sake of speed, contact Woodsafe for an ALL-I-ONE concept.
- MY CUSTOMER REQUIRES A GREEN FIRE-RESISTANT MATERIAL. WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER?
- Unfortunately, Woodsafe fire protection is not green, it is transparent. However, if you are looking for fire protection from a health and environmental perspective, Woodsafe PRO and Woodsafe Exterior WFX are approved for use. For more information, read under sustainability.
- WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER IF AN OPERATOR SAYS THAT THEIR PRODUCT IS EQUAL TO WOODSAFE?
- Of course, there may be equivalent products, but never rely on praise. Always request third party documentation from bodies such as RISE or its equivalent. There are many empty promises on the market, just as there are home-made certificates that are completely without value.
- WHAT ARE FIRE RESISTANT CHARACTERISTICS?
- There are several hundred different substances that can be used for fire protection of wood, but only a few compounds are suitable for use in the exterior environment. If your customer is to use fireproof wood as a facade cladding or in a humid environment, always ensure that the fire protection device has certified properties according to EN-16755 EXT. If you choose a product that has not been approved, your customer will be affected by complaints and the responsibility will fall back on you who have sold the product.